Plants To Avoid

Bulbs

Many dogs like to dig in the garden. Bulbs hidden under the ground may be dug up and eaten. Many are toxic to dogs and other pets - some of the more commonly found ones are listed below. Seek veterinary advice immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten any amount of flower bulbs or plant roots. If possible take a sample of the bulbs or root in question, as well as some of the foliage or flowers, to show to your vet.

  • Crocus Colchicum autumnale
  • Toxin = colchicine and other alkaloids
  • Crocus bulbs in particular are highly toxic

  • Cyclamen Cyclamen sp.
  • Toxin = Terpenoid saponins
  • Also known as Sowbread

  • Daffodil Narcissus sp.
  • Toxin = Lycorine and other alkaloids
  • The bulbs are most poisonous, but also the leaves and flowers if ingested.

  • Hyacinth Hyacinth orientalis
  • Toxin = Narcissus like alkaloids
  • All parts of this plant are poisonous

  • Iris Iris sp.
  • Toxin = Pentacylic terpenoids (zeorin, missourin and missouriensin)
  • Also known as Flag, Snake Lily, Water Flag

  • Gladiola Gladiolus spp.
  • Toxin = Unknown

  • Tulip Tulipa sp.
  • Toxin = Tulipalin A and B
  • Tree Roots

    Tree and plant roots are another potential hazard for dogs who like to dig. While most dogs don't seem too interested in tree roots, others may attempt to pull out roots they come across in a sort of 'tug of war' game. Some root are very poisonous, and even small amounts of root material or sap ingested can cause health problems.

  • Laburnum Laburnum sp.
  • Toxin = Cytisine
  • All parts of this plant are poisonous.

  • Rhododendron Rhododendron sp.
  • Toxin = Grayantoxin
  • Also known as Rosebay, or Azalea

  • Yew Taxus spp.
  • Highly Toxic. The most poisonous tree native to the UK. Toxin = Taxine
  • Includes other Yew species such as Japanese Yew, Western Yew etc.

  • Tree Branches and Sticks

    Dogs like to play with sticks and branches. Unfortunately, the wood and bark of some trees and shrubs is highly toxic. Listed below are some of the more common trees and shrubs with wood poisonous to dogs.
    You should be aware of any specimines of these plants growing in your garden. NEVER play with, or encourage your dog to 'fetch', sticks or branches that you suspect may originate from these plants. If dogs chew on branches of these species, they may become very ill, and you should seek veterinary advice immediately.

  • Box Buxus sempervirens
  • Cherry Laurel Prunus lauroceraesus
  • Laburnum
  • Oleander
  • Rododendron
  • Yew Taxus
  • One of the most deadly trees or shrubs.


As with all the contents of these page, the above is intended for educational purposes only. This information is not intended as medical advice, and should not replace veterinary consultation or treatment.